Re: PRESSURE HULLS

In a message dated 5/5/99 8:52:48 AM, t-knapp@home.com writes:

<< I'm
interested in building a two person, dry, submersible, that can safely
dive to 300ft (give or take). >>

Tom--
	Congratulations!  Now that you have said it out loud EVERYBODY will
know you're crazy!  Jon Shawl is playing a trick on you.  He thought you
meant submarine SANDWICHES, and figured a 300-footer would make a nice profit
for somebody.  Way to go Jon!

	Just in case you were really serious, I must tell you that I doubt
you could do any better than contacting George Kitteredge
(Kittredg@midcoast.com) for a set of plans to one of his submarines. All the
information is there, and George will be an invaluable resource. He has
already answered most of those pesky questions that have been driving you
crazy, and will be there to answer the thousand or so more that pop up during
construction. Otherwise, nothing to it. All you have to do is fab this, weld
that, glue over here and paint this and those two things over there and then
you go diving.  More or less.  Unless you are bound and determined to go the
whole torturous way on your own, a K-350 is the way to go.  The hulls are
incredibly tough and are easily built by small shop(s).  If you want to carry
two people, order his 2-man.  If you want to do it different, order the 1-man
and stretch the hull.
	I would suggest that you talk some with the psubbers about the
thinner material wall thickness in LP tanks--it looks like a sub hull, and
has been used as one by members of this group with success--but may be a
little light for your proposed application.  Most of the guys running thin
walled boats are diving shallow in fresh water lakes and such, so don't put
too heavy a structural demand on their hulls (although these things build up
very quickly indeed as the pressure builds). Don't know where you plan to
operate, but if there is any sort of water column in the area that lends
itself to the deeper end of your plan, I'd opt for 1/4" material.
	Truth be told, I'd build the K-600 if I had it to do over again, just
because it does more and doesn't really cost much more to fabricate. The boat
I have in sketch form is for 1200 feet or so with a 42" OD hull and a 150
degree arc segment full diameter main viewport. What fun!  Hull material:
George recommends A516 Grade 70,  which is a good medium carbon steel and
readily available.  Some of the Hyco boats (the shallower ones) and most of
the Perry boats used this or A537 for the hulls. Don't be intimidated by the
tank guy.  Sure, he's cautious. Can't blame him for that these days.  Just
remind him that he will not be building a submarine, but rather a custom
tailored tank with a bunch of holes in it.  And if he can build a plain old
tank, he can damn sure roll 1/4" stuff and special order thicker elliptical
heads with your material.
	Reinforcements?  Got some, you bet.  On my K the conning tower
penetration is a ring of 1/2" material welded to a saddle of 1/2" material in
turn welded into the hull.  The conn itself is 1/4" welded to the 1/2" ring.
Internal t-bar ribs are welded on 12" centers.  Viewports are heavily framed,
as you might expect.
	As an illustration of just how tough these little boats are, check
this out. One of George's K-350s was chained down on deck of a ship that sank
in the Sea of Japan in a typhoon.  The ship was 100' long and was salvaged
after a couple of months from 900' of water.  The sub was intact.  No
leakage, no failed seals, and no visible hull distortions!  The thing is
built like an anvil!
Hope this helps your ruminations some.
Regards,
Vance