Re: list traffic; hand-me-downs

On Wed, 28 Apr 1999 09:57:05 -0500 David Buchner writes:
>Oh you sneaky sneaks! After more than a week of quiet, when I think
>it's safe, I go away for the weekend. All of a sudden there's all these
>messages. How does this happen? Who sits in the woods with his laptop
>and cellular modem and waits to see me throw my toothbrush in the car
and
>drive away? This has happened too many times before for me to dismiss it
as
>mere coincidence.

Is there a fish pond in your yard or near your house?    Look for the
periscope!

>Oh, by the way, two things have got me thinking about surplus submarines
>again. I noticed a reference to a Scientific American article in the
>"magazines" part of the website - and I actually have a pile of SA's
>from that period. It's about "3rd world" countries buying diesel
>submarines - pretty *big* ones from the look of it.

You, uh, don't have a source for old subs, do you?   I once got an offer
to scrap a ex-USN sub being discarded by the Turks.  I hear Soviet
Foxtrots are for sale, and Soviet Romeos are quite common.

>The other thing was a friend of mine who's always looking for someplace
>weird and cheap to live. He's got this boat he lives on sometimes, in
>the Mississippi below downtown St. Paul. He mentioned some guy who lived

>on an old fireboat, and another on some kind of "sub chaser" or "torpedo

>boat" (he couldn't remember.) Anyway - it just makes me the more certain

>that there must be somewhere, if I were to look hard enough, that I
could
>get hold of a rusty old naval sub, like the size of WWII ones. Amazing
as
>it seems to me, old boats are mostly a nuisance to many people and this
>friend of mine keeps seeing them go for free or nearly so - even really
>well-kept neat old wooden-hulled yachts. If nobody wants to get involved
in the
>upkeep, this stuff has no great value, I guess.

I looked into this, a while back.   The US government used to mandate
that you can't
keep a submarine or a ship larger than a subchaser: you have to scrap it.
  I did
hear from a women who was a BBC producer in the UK who was looking for
someone who lived in a submarine, so it might be possible to find a used
u-boat there.

Oh -- if you see a wooden or plastic Chris-Craft or the like, going for
peanuts, call me.   I saw a 34-foot Owens -- in good shape, apparently --
go
for $1500.   It would have a made fine tender for a little sub.

>Oh, also - this isn't exactly "personal" but... is anybody familiar with
>the environmental group Sea Shepherd. According to their website,
>they've got a little submarine they carry around with them for sneaky
attacks
>on whaling ships and suchlike. I don't know exactly *what* kind of
>"attacks" - but it certainly sounds exciting.

How cute.  Welcome to the world of the technologically-literate socially
arrogant!

Michael B. Holt
Oregon Hill, Richmond, Virginia, U.S.A.
--

or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]