Re: variable ballast

Hi,
Again I used the KISS (Keep It Simple Stupid) method on my "homemade" trim
system. It is almost just like your K-boat system but there is no check valve
anywhere and it has a valve you don't have.
It has 3 valves total and a internal steel tank, it hold about 40 lbs of water
total. One valve is used to pressurize the tank, one 1/2" ball valve to vent the
air, and one 1.5" ball valve to admit or vent the water. It works as fast or as
slow as you want it to. I use 2 gauges to compare internal and external water
pressure so I can tell if water will go in or out, and how fast when I open the
water valve. I like my system and wouldn't change it at all.
I can even have fun with it if I want to shake up the passenger. Like this, at
the end of the dive and near the surface I just fill the tank to 125 psi with air
and open the 1.25" valve all the way as fast as I can. This blows a hole in the
water on the left side of the sub. It displaces a lot of water in a hurry! This
has about the same affect as something exploding right next to the sub. I will
include a built in warning now. DON'T TRY THIS STUNT, IT IS DANGEROUS. Ok ok, so
I have a weird sense of humor sometimes. :-)
Jon