Re: A surprising discovery?

Hi Axel, Ray, and all:

Sorry, maybe I missed something in the past. I didn't know about the "non
technical" list until today. I signed up to it just now so this should be my
last "non technical" message to the sub related list. I will take this
discussion there in the future now that I know about it.
I like the idea of a public list that just includes the informative "gems"
without all the dirt. I think that would help the new members to the list. It
would show them things that have already been covered by the group without
having to read a 1000+ useless e-mails to find the gems. I realize someone would
have to weed out the list and that would be a big job at first but it's just an
idea to think about. As it is now it can be hard to find the gems because of the
shear size of the archives. Maybe I should look first, but is there any type of
list search engine on the site yet? If not, I think it would be a great idea to
add one, for members use that is.
When I went to look at the list sign up page,  I now see a (New?) big, flashing,
red disclaimer (this is good), but I don't remember seeing it when I signed up
many months ago. Part of it says,
"All messages sent through our mailing lists are archived and open for public
inspection on this web site."
This statement leads me to believe that you must come to the p-sub site to get
into and read the archives. This is not the case at this time. This don't bother
me so much, but getting into them directly from outside the site without the
disclaimers does not sound like a good idea to me. It's not so much that I have
said anything in the group that I would want removed or hidden, but anything we
say taken out of the context of the group and the list has the potential to be
taken or used the wrong way. I guess until something changes I will have to be
very careful and reconsider everything I might post to the group, as now I know
the "group" is the world, not just 92 P-subers. If you don't hear much from me
any more, this would be the reason I'm keeping quiet.
A possible solution;
I have been told that the site archives can be protected. To keep the search
engine robots from going through archives in the future, you can create a file
called robots.txt. The file should look like the following,

Disallow: /mlist/archive/
Disallow: /path/to/any/other/folder/you/do_not/want/indexed/

This file needs to be placed in the sites root directory so the robots can
access it by going to, http://www.psubs.org/robots.txt
More information on this is available at;
http://info.webcrawler.com/mak/projects/robots/exclusion-admin.html
http://www.altavista.com/av/content/addurl_exclude.htm
After this is done then you can re-register the site with the search engines and
they will remove the archive references from their index.

Jon Shawl

Axel Iehle wrote:

> Hi all,

[Snip]