Re: Use of concrete.

> Just because it's an external pressure vessel, don't be thinking that the
> hull is all in compression. The inner wall is in tension, and the failure
> mode is actually buckling (WHUMP.) :-o Joe

please forgive my ignorance here, but i am not too sure that i understand why
the inner wall is in tension?  would it be practical to solve such problems
using a layer of steel and concrete or would the differences in temperture
causing expansion/contraction be too great.

that WHUMP sound is really spooky.

(For anyone who is concerned about me
building one, rest assured that i most certaintly will not, there is no way
i have the expertise or finances!, i am just impressed with the
possibilities!)

E.M.