Re: boatship

On Fri, 23 Apr 1999 08:12:31 -0500 David Buchner <Buchner@wcta.net>
writes:
>Okay, somebody tell me the history of why submarines, even really
>really big submarines, are called "boats" insteada of "ships."

Technically and correctly, a boat is any floating craft that can be
carried on a ship.

The first submarines were transported long distances (out of sight
of home port) by a larger ship.   In most cases, if I recall correctly,
they were loaded on colliers.

Therefore, they were "boats" for the purposes of the navies.

I'm told that some submarines today, in the U.S. Navy, at least, are
called "ships" by their crew.

Michael Holt
--

or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]