more battery stuff

Al and all,
	I called an old bud of mine at Harbor Branch today to ask him some
battery questions.  Dom Liberatore is the HBOI Chief Pilot, and has been
there for twenty years.  Of course, the weirdest news was that he just last
month sold the old Datsun pickup that he and Greg Kennedy and I used to
commute to work in--in 1981!--and it was a rambling wreck even then!  The
other news had to do with their sub Clelia which is the Perry PC-1204 that I
did 300 or so dives in back in the North Sea construction days and which has
been resurrected for science.  Didn't they buy it from you, Phil?
	They (HBOI) are using GNB Maintenance Free batteries of a reputed 100
ampere capacity--two strings of 10 batteries in each battery pod--40
batteries in all.  They have a vent system which allows them to whistle
outside air in and out of small tubing and charge batteries (when on a
mission) with the battery pods closed.  They do this because they had never
had anything even remotely like a Perry-boat, and nothing with dry batteries
in pressure vessels.  The idea of opening those pod hatches at sea made them
nervous.  Hell, we used to pop those babies after every dive to vent while
charging, and they never leaked, but HBOI is used to compensated batteries on
the JSLs, and they only crack those boxes during annual overhauls!  They just
ain't used to seeing batteries, don'cha know?
	Anyhow, Dom says that the Maintenance Free GNBs have held up fairly
well, with only 2 or 3 fried cells he can recall (during missions).  The
problem, comma, is that the battery strings are very finicky to charge.
Their charge rates are funny because they DO HAVE a catylator built in to
recombine hydrogen with oxygen (how else would they be maintenance free?),
but DON'T HAVE the capacity to do this very quickly.  Also, the units are
rated at 100 ampere hour but in real life only supply about 80.  They have
thin plates, which I have talked about elsewhere, and just won't stand for a
great wolloping charge without warpage and boilage and wreckage.   Of course,
HBOI has a special set of digitally controlled chargers built by GNB to deal
with this.  Kind of makes you wonder what those babies cost, doesn't it?  The
chargers failed once and cooked an entire double  string of batteries to a
Kentucky Fried extra-crispy order.  GNB replaced them all, but it sure put a
crimp in the sub operations for a while!
	All things being equal, and they never are, Dom reckons they are
pretty happy with the system they are using.  Of course, they have more money
than I have opinions (which means they have a LOT of money!).  For us little
guys, it might be best to think of those tough old golf carts, with the tough
old 6-volt batteries.  You get complete control of each cell's gravity, lots
of power, and you make Trojan or Sears very happy.  Does it get any better
than that?
	And for all you detail cranks out there, a standard Perry battery pod
is basically schedule 40 pipe, 20 inches outside diameter with 1 X 2 inch
ring stiffeners every 30 inches (welded wide side down) and are120 inches
long with a momsom clamped hatch on each end.   The big boats (PC-9, PC-15,
PC-1202 and both 16-boats) all had 182 inch pods.  PC-9 carried an entire 120
volt string of 225 amp Trojan 6-volters IN EACH POD!!!!  1200 pounds per
side!  Yikes!  I once did 13 hours and 15 minutes on one charge, running a
pipeline in the Shetland Islands in the 9-boat.  It was terrible.  The coffee
got cold before we got done and man, I hate it when that happens.
Best Regards,
Vance