Re: ambient preference

  I saw a neat idea a while ago to control the volume of the air pocket
(ascent-wise only)... they had a pipe fitted through the hull with an
elbow and secnd segment, to form an "L" shape:

  =====
   |  ||
   |  ||
   |  ||

well, you get the idea...  Idea being that the air pocket will not grow
beyond the bottom of the pipe during ascent, pipe being able to rotate
so you can alter the size of the air pocket to compensate for load,
etc.  What scares me the most is the descent portion... from what I
understand (am I correct??)
most dry ambient "subs"
just use a free-flow air delivery system to vent the cabin (and keep
your air pocket to the level of the pipe/hole/whatever).  If you begin
to descend faster than you can compensate for decreasing air volume you
can either sink uncontrolably or drop some weight and go "pop" to the
surface (from depth and pressue no less).  I guess this is what scares
me.  Does anyone have any insight on this?  Keep in mind I'm *not*
speaking from experience, only trying to figure out how not to damage
myself :-)

Alex

P.S. there's a link to an ambient sub maker from the "links" section on
the psubs page.  i forget the name of them, but they advertise some
kind of "electronic" control for bouancy issues.