Re: Innovative methods

Dick Morrisson wrote:

> Dave Irons asked about innovative methods to build a submersible or
> habitat.  I read about a novel method and material some time ago which I
> hope some other members will help recall details of.  The method was to
> build a mesh of conductive material (like steel) in the shape of the
> desired walls and submerge it in sea water, then apply a small charge to
> it over a period of weeks (or months).     [snip]
> Comments!?

Hi, Dick, Dave and All

Yes - the term is called "accretion".  I have the original technical paper in my
files but it's late so . . .

You are right about the expense.  It's just the electricity and the cost of the
mesh.  There is a "ya but, . . . ", however.

When the electricty is no longer applied, the accreted material is reabsorbed into
the sea water.  That could be a bit of a bummer.  An extremely effective shield has
to be applied over the accretion to prevent any incursion by sea water.

A problem with the undersea environment is its natural affinity with electricity.  By
using accretion, a builder is, in effect, using a technique that is high on the
entropic scale.  Meaning that its NATURAL state is one of rapid decomposition in that
particular environment.

While virtually any material has to be monitored for stress, corrosion, etc., this is
one that would require a great deal of vigilence.

If you were to accrete your sub in sea water, but, use it in fresh, then you would be
talking a different ball game.  Again, I believe it would come down to a question of
degree.

Hope this helps!

--
Rick Lucertini