Acrylic bonding/construction.

Does anyone know how to bond sheets of acrylic material, I found a supplier of
2 inch (~5 cm) thick material.  That was the thickest I could find, and it was
somewhat expensive (~ $500/24x24 inch). I was wondering if it was possible to
bond individual sheets together to get a greater thickness, and maintain
strength and clarity.  Is this practical?  Is it economically feasible?  Maybe
put together to achieve a semi-spherical shape, by bonding stacked concentric
rings and polishing?
 At this time I am just searching for thoughts and ideas. Anything would be
appreciated.