Re: Unmanned test dives

Axel Iehle wrote:

> I guess testing a sub could be made in many successive steps.
> You may want to test small critical elements (through hulls, viewports...)
> that are easy to handle and test in a pressure chamber (it may be a good idea
> to even test elements that you bought "certified"... do you rely on someone
> else when it's your life in the balance?)
> Then when the sub is assembled, as someone indicated already you can save a
> lot of time and money by simply checking roughly if ...it's water proof! no
> need for a crane a boat or a big test-chamber. And there could be some
> surprises!
> Then I guess the next step is the unmanned diving test. Thinking to a big
> compression test-chamber is pleasant, but:
> I'm not sure I can pay for it
> I'm not sure the operators will accept taking the risk of something damaged in
> their chamber due to the failure of your shark-painted-face-yellow-sub (but I
> may be wrong)

Just a note to make sure you know that the shark boat and my Yellow sub are not the
same thing.The shark boat was vacuums pump tested in my own yard, and the yellow sub
was tested unmanned in a lake to 140'.
I don't think the operators of the test chamber would be responsible in any way as
long as they did not go over the pressure that you specified.
Jon Shawl