Re: Various

>> > Explosive bolts aren't such a bad idea. Spacemen use them because
they're
>> very reliable. They can throw a lot of shrapnel, but water is a good
>> projectile absorber. The bigger worry is the shock wave that can buckle
an
>> otherwise happy pressure vessel. Still, if they're far enough away from
the
>> pressure hull, and the alternative is slow death by asphyxiation, they
may
>> be just the ticket. Explosive actuated cutters avoid the difficulties of
>> shrapnel and shock. I haven't the foggiest clue where Regular Guys can
buy
>> Explosive bolts or cutters.
>
>I'm still thinking, what part of the sub would you need to use them on?In
what
>subbing scenario would they be useful?

Explosive bolts might be used for mounting anything of great negative
buoyancy (keel weight, battery pod) or propensity (sp?) for entanglement
(manipulator.) Cutters can be used to part cables, lines, pipes or
structural fittings.

>> > Ray, the movie you remember was about an incident involving the
>> Johnson-Sea-Link. I think Lee J. Cobb played Edwin Link. The JSL was a
lot
>> more bare bones than it is today, but a tubular "anti-entanglement"
>> structure had been built around it. The boat brushed a snagged fishing
net,
>> and one of the tubes was snagged by a snap hook. So much for safety
devices.
>> Mr. Link's son died.
>>
>> :-o Joe
>
>What was the name of this movie, and is it on tape? Was it one Snap hook
that
>held the sub under?  Jon Shawl
>
>I don't remember the name, and I haven't seen it in over 15 years. I think
it was made for TV. I was told the story by a diver at Harbor Branch, and
according to him, it was a single snap hook.