Re: The First PSUBs Fatality

Ray Keefer wrote:

> >(from Richard  I think) A one atmosphere three man submersible suffered a
> catastrophic failure
> > of one of its viewports.  This happened in 38' of water, the sub was
> > designed to operate at a depth of 100'.  When the viewport failed, one
> > man drowned, and the other was barely able to escape with his life by
> > making a free accent to the surface.  The man was killed by his own sub.
> > I'm sure he thought "it can't happen to me, I've designed and built this
> > sub myself".

This death did not just happen. It was about 9 years ago. Seems like yesterday to
me. I sent a clipping to Richard H and he posted some of it during our safety
session. Humm, now every one is talking about it, Good!  I will post the articles
as I get them typed or scanned in.

> Can we get articles? Photos? News clippings? I want to start a new page
> called "Disasters"? I want to be very chilling clear that if you screw up
> you are DEAD.

On the way to you now. I will have to scan the photos later.

> Were these guys members of the PSUB group?

No. They never had the chance. :(

> I think it would be nice to collect some stats. Maybe once a year the members
> could report in how many dives they did in the year. How many accidents.
> With accident reports. How many deaths....

Sounds like good ideas, but report accidents as you here about them. And if it
happens to you make sure someone you know lets us know!

> This way we can learn from
> each others mistakes.

 Sounds like what I have been trying to say all along. I will pass on what I
have.

Jon Shawl