Why should I build a P-sub?

Hello to all of you on the list,
I don't know if this argument has been already discussed in the past,
but I'm a bit curious about the real motivation and real use behind each
p-sub project.

- BTW , I apologize for my poor english writing --

As an industrial designer and a diver I was interested in underwater
"exploration" since my early steps in the undersea world (too many years
ago...) and my first sketches for a DPV dated 1982.
I must admit - for several reasons - I do not own or even build a p-sub
yet.
I often found myself dreaming or wondering about a little one or two
seat minisub and I can say I have a real interest in it.

This is the point: I'm interested in minisubs because I could use one
for active undersea exploration, including wreck searching and
exploration.
I'm slowing moving my professional interests into the UW field (actually
prototyping some new upcoming products) and I'l probably approach a
p-sub design in a reasonably short time, between this year and the next
one. I just received the Kittredge's booklet, I must say thanks to him
as he was really nice and quik.

Due to my specific interest I know I want a psub able to safely dive in
the range of 100/125 m, small enough to be carried on a mid-sized boat
(not needing a ship), with the best visibility compatible with the
budget, a good maneuveability and a good exploration range.

I'm an industrial designer and not an engineer but I can rely on a very
good engineering support and a huge amount of computing resources with
the most advanced design, simulation and manufacturing capabilities.
But I'll probably start my first 1atm experience with one consolidated
Kittredge's design, even if I not consider it as the complete answer to
all my needs.

I consider experience being the most important of the skills required.
I'm also a skydiver and still involved on extreme polar adventures, but
I always found advanced designs should be supported by experience and
test if you want them to successfully work.

Do you feel 15, 30 or 100m of water column being a less "extreme" and
demanding environment than any open-air in the middle of the arctic or
at the South Pole?

Oops, speaking about safety was leading me out of my question path:
As I stated above, I've quite a good vision of my psub needs and I
already have some future design in my mind, but I'm really curios and
interested in understanding the real motivations and interests of the
other p-subs enthusiasts/owners here on the list.

Why are you "diving" a p-sub?
What pushed your interests and motivation along this path?
What are you looking for?
Which kind of p-sub design would be more suitable to your needs?
How much visibility do you need?
Which kind of instrumentation do you need to implement on it?
How far would you go with it?
Are you diving in confined or open water?
Are you diving in drifting or calm water?
Which is the max depth of the basin you're floating over? I mean, just
in case of the worst total failure, when you can only stay and wait for
rescue, will your p-sub resist to "that" max pressure if you're slowly
falling to the bottom?

The ones above are only the most basic questions I would give an answer
to understand if I'm going to design a glass bottom boat rather than a
replica of the "Trieste".

Reading this mail list I had the sensation some people like the idea of
having a p-sub and probably got one or is building one, but still miss
the main target: what is it designed for?

Please note, the above questions resemble an usual scheme which proved
to be at the base of functional design, doesn't matter which kind of
product you're ivolved on.

Safety and reliability walks together and they only depend on a good
project. A good project cannot even be started without a full and
exaustive evaluation of those answers.

If you feel you're not sure, please take a seat, have a glass of your
best wisky (or bourbon) [I would suggest Laphroaigh...], take a deep
breath, relax and reconsider the whole question. Write down the above
questions, add more if you have and give an answer to all of them.
After that, take your time to evaluate the answers and ask somebody else
when you're not sure. Now you've a better vision of your needs and it's
up to you to decide what you're going to do.

Be safe and have fun

Paolo

--
Paolo Velcich