Re: Pressuring 1 ATM Subs

>From: SJSVOB@aol.com
>Date: Wed, 24 Feb 1999 14:49:17 EST
>To: personal_submersibles@psubs.org
>Subject: Pressuring 1 ATM Subs
>

>If you really wanted to dive deep you could pressurize your inner hull
making
>sure you keep in mind your SCUBA diving training that all psubbers have
gone
>through, right?  (Of course if you really know your stuff, you'd be
using
>mixed gasses.)  But this brings up an important point on using ambient
subs
>(or 1 atm subs which are pressurized to go deeper), which I don't
recall
>hearing mentioned here:
>
>You must be very very careful to maintain the proper depth with your
sub.  If
>due to some accident your sub were to surface too quickly you could be
killed.

>I heard of a case where a diver was in the lock out chamber of a sub.
As they
>pumped the gas out of the airlock the gas was flowing and remaining
trapped
>under some structural modifications which were recently made to the
sub.  This
>caused the sub to become positively bouyant and the sub quickly rose to
the
>surface, killing the diver in the lock out chamber while the operator
watched
>through the viewport.  In a 1 atm sub you can always blow ballast to
save your
>ass if need be.  In other designs you must always make a controlled
ascent,
>which could be impossible if you experience a failure in your dive
planes or
>ballast tanks.  I'd feel safe in an ambient wet sub that I could jump
(ok
>float) off of, but a dry ambient sub seems rather dangerous to me.

Why if ypou make the open botome part of the ambient dry sub big enough
and had suba equipment in side with you you could exit the sub and
reenter with out problem tink of it like this yo make a second level to
the sub below the cabin that is open to the sea then you make a non
sealing hach or a door so you don't get wet inthe second upper space or
cabin then wile submerged you could egress out of the opening if
nessisary or to just get out and explore. this is an idea one of my
freind is making crossing the plans from the C-Questor and his own
idea(it look mor like a real sub than the questor).