Re: Double Hulled Sub

In a message dated 2/24/99 3:09:20 PM Eastern Standard Time, SJSVOB@aol.com
writes:

> How about a double hulled sub?  The inner hull would be a common psub, but
> the
>  outer hull also could be pressurized.  By doing so you could travel to a
> depth
>  equal to the sum of the depths that each hull could tolerate on their own.

I'm not an engineer, however, I don't think a Pressurized inner hull will help
withstand outer pressure as the sum of pressures on the inner hull will still
add up to the total pressure exerted by the seawater.   The pressure between
hulls acts on both the outer and inner hulls with the same force.

At depth, the external pressure would press in the outer hull, compressing the
air, or pressurising the water, which would press on the inner hull.  The part
of the pressure between hulls that would act against the external pressure,
would be balanced by the amount of the pressure between hulls that is exerted
against the inner hull.

Just my .02$ worth!!