Pressure Testing

Suppose that one wants to test their pressure hull.  One has the option of sending it down, unmanned, for safety.  How about testing in the shop?  What does everyone think of the following?

At 100 feet we know that we are encountering about 50 PSI.  Make a block, one inch by one inch, then balance 50 pounds on top of it while resting the block on random spots on the pressure hull.  If the hull holds up, then ok, move on.

Is there a better way to "shop test" a design?

Paul