RE: Mathematics for sub desginers (beginners)

The info was from memory.
I do not have the scuba book on hand, so I'll look later.  I checked
several other sources.  You are correct...sea water is more dense than
fresh water.  I suspect I reversed the numbers by operating from
memory.  I hope this did not cause too much confusion.
Thanks for the correction.

---"Morrisson, Richard D" <Richard.Morrisson@PSS.Boeing.com> wrote:

> I don't know where you got the information that seawater is less
dense but I think you should re-check it!  The rule of thumb I
remember is 34' not 30' for freshwater.  Consider that seawater is
just regular water with a bunch of rock (salt) dissolved in it, which
makes it heavier for a given volume.
> > ----------

SCUBA
> > days ~33ft=1atm=14.7psi in sea water, ~30ft=1atm=14.7psi in fresh
> > water.  In the units below this means ~0.445psi/ft for seawater and
> > 0.49psi/ft for fresh water.  This means that given equal conditions,
> > the sub in fresh water is more bouyant than the one in sea water.
> >

> > ---"Morrisson, Richard D" <Richard.Morrisson@PSS.Boeing.com> wrote:
> > >
> > > For water pressure at depth consider a box 1' by 1' by whatever
> > tall.  The area on top of the box is therefore one square foot.
Water
> > (sea) weighs about 64 pounds per cubic foot (fresh is about 62.4).
> > The top of the box must support the weight of (pressure due to) the
> > water above it.  This weight is 64 times the depth in feet (the
pounds
> > per cubic foot times the height in feet).  Divide the resulting
pounds
> > per square foot by 144 to get psi.  It comes out to about .44psi per
> > foot.   Hopefully you can follow the logic to this explanation and
see
> > the basis for the formula, which is generally more valuable than the
> > formula itself.

dimensions/pitch/speed