Re: How about fish finders? and speaking of periscopes...

Hi All,

GREGORY B. SNYDER wrote:
>... has anyone ever considered mounting a commercial fish finder to the sub in
order to see the bottom ( and depth to it). Some of the newer ones have great
graphics.

Yes I have done it already, I used an old spinning disk type fish finder for
depth to bottom instrument. It works just fine to keep you from crashing into
the bottom too fast.

>.....I just don't know if the transducer would withstand the increased
pressure ?

I think most transducers I have looked into are solid cast plastic around the
transducer element. My guess is that most transducers will hold up to 50 psi or
around a 100'. You will have to check into the design of what ever you chose to
use to be sure. My main concern is any wiring at hull thru fittings, if you do
this part right it won't hurt much if your tansducer gets chrushed.

>....Also, one mounted so that it was oriented forward, may serve as a type of
sonar device. Just a thought.

A good thought at that. I would like to add a forward looking fish finder also.
One thing to consider is use 2 different transducer frequencies, to avoid
interference from 1 unit to the other, ghosting and false readings etc.

>....Finally, how or where does one go to get or make a periscope.  I have been
all over the internet without much success. Any Ideas? Sincerely Greg Snyder

Good question. Depending on what you want it to do, optical, or video? Just
design, build, and test it, or keep looking.
Sorry, I can't offer much more help on that one.
Sincerely,
Jon Shawl