Viewports?!!

It's just a shame that no real good graphical interfaces exist for forward looking sonar...would you give up the blues of the sea for an amorphous blur sweeping across the screen?  Granted, every sub should have doubly (or triply) redundant systems.  3-d terrain mapping (coordinated with inertial guidance and GPS on the surface...Jon@huv would agree, I think) is imperative, along with computational power for solving inverse scattering, before we have an electronic eye which suits us.  Anyone out there doing stuff like this?  (I study acoustics, so I'm biased.)  Nevertheless, I can't imagine going through all this trouble and not being able to see the flora and fauna with my natural sight.  A computer screen is still too abstract, intellectualized.

regards,

Gareth Block