Re: Question? (and specs)

Martin Sanderse wrote:

> >From "Manned Submersibles" by Busby

The last of the entry is typed in at the end of this. (c/w my comments)

> Submanaut
> 9.5 feet long
> beam 4.2 feet
> 4.75 high
> 3.ft draft
> 2.75 tons dry
> 200 foot operating depth
> collapse depth 2000 feet
> launched 1963
> hatch diameter 16.5 inches
> 24 man hours life support
> power 3.5 kwh
> speed 1.1 knots for 4 hours cruise  , 1.6 for 2 hours
> 1 pilot, one observer
> payload 1200 pounds
>
> elliptically shaped pressure hull, majot axis 96 inches, minor axis 42 inches, 128 rings
> of .75 inch plywoodbonded togehter.  The radial thickness is 4 inches plus .75 inches
> fibreglass for a total of 4.75 inches.  hatch of steel with a flat gasket.

Ballast/Bouyancy:  A water ballast tank located within the pressure hull provides +- 100
lb bouancy and may be manually pumped or blown with air.  External ballast tanks
presently under construction.  (Martin's note:book published in 1976 - gee I've been
interested in this a long time)

Propulsion/Control: forward and reverse thrust is provided by a 1.5 HP 1,800 RPM 24 vdc
motor mounted on the center line aft.  Two 1/3 hp 800 rpm motors mounted on the main
motor casing, 1 vertically, and 1 horizontally to provide vertical and horizontal
thrust.  Pneumatically actuated diving planes and rudder are also mounted aft for
altitude control while underway.

Trim: No static trim or list control provided.  Underway trim controlled by the diving
planes and vertical thruster.

Power source:  four  6V 120 amp hour lead acid batteries connected in series, and one 12
volt battery are carried in the pressure hull.

Life support:  Oxygen resupply is acomplished manually fron a 60 SCF oxy tank and cO2
is scrubbed to recirculate cabin air.  A dessicant is used to reduce humidity.

Viewing.  A single 4 inch thich Plexiglass viewport with an OD of 24 inches is located
at the bow.  Because of method of mounting a viewing angle of 170 degrees is obtained
when in the water. The ID of the window is 12"

Operating Scientific equipment: UQC, speed/distance indicator, watrer temp sensor, depth
guage, pinger.

Manupulators:  None

Safety featues:  300 lbs of lead in segments formed to the hull are held in place with a
steel band around the hull forward of the conning tower.  The band can be released
hydraulically from inside the pressure hull to jettison the weights.

Surface support:  Submanaut is transported on a modified auto trailer and launched by
moving the trailer down any available launching ramp.

No support ship has been used.

Owener:  Helle Engineering San Diego Calif

Builder same as above  (James R. Helle)

Remarks;  Not operating

Martin's notes:

The text of the books states that the sub was built to test various electronic
systems such as pingers and communication systems for Oceanic Enterprises, a division of
Helle Engineering.

I don't have a scanner, but picure a large egg with a conning tower sitting on a trailer
made of channel iron and a 3/4 ton truck axle.  (no springs)

The front viewport (lens) looks line it's made in 2 laminated sections, the larger
diameter on the hull, and a smaller disk acting as a lens on the front of it.  You can
see the holes drilled through the acrylic for the screws holding it onto the plywood
donuts.

Umm . . .  for all the list talk of streamlining and sexy shapes, there's not much
there, that's for sure. (unless you think eggs are sexy)

Please ask some specific questions and I'll fill you in what I can from the picture.
You've got the words.

	:)

--
Martin Sanderse