Re: Question?

Fiberglass and some Sub Thoughts...

    The concept of fiberglass for subs has been around for years.  With the
proper engineering design fiberglass in my opinion could be used for hull
material.  But it would certainly have to be much thicker than steel.  The
idea of wood as structure is probably not good at all.  I would not want to
be under water with nothing but wood holding out the pressure.  Wood used
as a form to shape fiberglass could be a possibility.  However, here is the
catch;  Fiberglass for hull material would be much more expensive than
steel.  Also, some people designing a sub forget the physics of hull design
and go for shapes that are very dangerous such as eliptical or rectangular
hulls etc.  Fiberglass could allow the designer to get carried away with
different shapes and build a bad design that will crush the first time out.
    If I ever build another dry sub I want to build most of the systems
(electrical, hydraulic, pneumatic, and life support on a framework that can
be slid outside the hull via a removable end cap.  Only people that have
ever worked inside a sub for any length of time can probably appreciate
this concept.  You will crawl through a small hatch 1000's of times and
once inside need a tool that is outside.  Also, I find that for the average
work inside it takes about a factor of 4 or 5 for the time required over
the same type work outside.  I have never seen this done but I think it
would be worth the effort.
    Small subs also get hot when you are working inside.  This is true even
on many Winter days here in Louisiana.  I can only take about 20 minutes at
the most this time of year.  Your body heat gets reflected back and the air
gets hotter as you work.  When I get out into our 100 degree weather it
feels cool!  All of this could be made easier and construction time reduced
if systems could be worked on outside as a module and then slipped inside
and the end cap bolted on.  Of course this would require the correct
engineering expertise to design an end that does not leak and is save.

Gary Boucher