windows

I know that most of you use acrylic for your portholes.  I was wondering
if anyone has tried using actual glass?  Now, I know that sub windows
are not something to skimp on, just to save a couple of bucks!  But I
already have a big piece of 1.25 inch glass, and 1 square foot of the
same acrylic will cost me 75 clams!  If I had a 10 inch diameter glass
window that was 1.25 inch thick, what depth would be safe???

                                 Steve McColman, Vancouver Island