Re: Batteries

Hello Scott,

I did some research on batteries and for my purpose I am using  valve
regulated sealed Absorbed Glass Mat (AGM) lead acid batteries from Concorde
Batteries, Lifeline series. They apear to be, currently, the best bet for cost
effective and safe batteries. Take a look at Concorde's Website at
"http://www.concordebattery.com/private.html". I am using their GLC-27
battery. They seem to have higher capacity, for a given size, than the wet or
flooded cells. They also have less gas evolution during charge and discharge.
A comparision was done on these batteries in the June 1997 issue of Cruising
World. The battery test results shown in the article shows much higher
capacity at high rates of discharge, 25 amperes, than either the flooded or
Gel technology. Plus they will operate in any position without spilling acid
in your Sub.

If you use four batteries as you stated for a 12 or 24 volt motor, then you
can use PWM electronics to reduce the discharge rate and increase your battery
performance. I also think the higher voltage motors are better from both a
current and performance standpoint. The higher thrust trolling motors all
operate at 24 or 36 volts.

I have more data if you can't find enough on the Concorde Website.

Have Fun,

Ken Martindale/ EE