Re: Organized Chaos

On Tue, 19 May 1998, Jonathan Wallace wrote:

> Title                   Duties
> President               None that I can think of.  They
>                         are a figure head just so we can
>                         say we have an organizational
>                         head of office.  No power, no glory,
>                         just a title.

Hmm...  I think the president should, instead, be more a group of people.
They should discuss and vote on things like official policy.  They would
set what is a personal sub and what isn't, etc.  Among their duties might
also be to arrange events, though that probably meshes with the PRO.  They
could also provide an official "face" for interviews on the media.

> Public Relations        Deal with any formal requests for
> Officer                 information and/or interviews about
>                         the organization.

The PRO's primary duty would be to encourage growth of the organization.
This includes arranging events, and does overlap somewhat with the
presidential duties I describe above.  It is quite possible to use the
president as a talking puppet, controlled by the PRO.

> Secretary               Don't need one.  The mailing list can be
>                         our archive.  Official decisions can be
>                         posted on the mailing list.

May be useful for record maintenance.

> Treasurer               Don't need one.  We collect no dues
>                         and write no checks.  If someone gives
>                         us a huge donation, THEN we worry about
>                         electing a Treasurer.

"Treasurer of Knowledge" - should be a knowledgeable, experienced member.
The ToK's job will be to monitor the list for good info, and record it.
The ToK's job will also entail finding good books, etc.  The ToK may
eventually write a book on submarine construction, with could be made
available for sale.

> As an alternative, we could do away with the concept of
> member/participant and simply declare that signing up for the
> discussion group provides you membership.

I would go for having actual members that CHOSE to be members.  In the
future, we may wish to use this organization to provide support services
for our projects, things like newsletters, etc.  In that case, we would
have a list of people the CHOSE to get those thing.

> Regardless of the final makeup, I do believe that some structure
> would provide us more benefit than detriment.

Yes, it would.  I see the goal of the organization to encourage growth in
the pursuit of personal submarines.  It's entirely possible that in the
future, the org could purchase a few small submarines and arrange events
in different areas where people could take a ride in one.  TTYL!

---
Paul Anderson
hacker@geeky1.ebtech.net
"This is Maurice, our sheep-hearding carrot."