Re: AUV Questions

On Thu, 14 May 1998 09:04:06 -0400 (EDT), Coast Guard Kiteman
<exfloridians@ecsu.campus.mci.net> wrote:

>         I've seen them on television, but had never heard "AUV" before.  Or
> I just wasn't paying attention enough. <g>

Every now and then TLC does a special on underwater stuff, and they often
talk about them there. I've even got an entire one hour show taped just on
AUV's.

>         OH?  How much water exactly does a fuel cell produce?  I didn't
> realize it was that much.  I mean, I know they do make water, and that's
> a source for water on the space shuttle.  But it's enough to be a problem
> on a small sub?

I don't know how much water they produce, but about the only reason I can
think of to use one instead of a battery is because you want it to last for
a long time (especially in a deep-water sub, where it takes a long time to
go between the surface and the bottom). Given that, it's going to end up
producing a lot of water.

It makes sense that they would produce a fair amount of water in a hour,
given the chemical reaction that is happening.

Later,
Jon

   Jon Hylands      Jon@huv.com      http://www.huv.com/jon

           http://www.huv.com