Re: Flat hatch design

I usually sit back and just read psubs notes.  But I have to put my 2 cents
in here.  200 psi may not be a horrendous pressure but if you have a hatch
that is 20 inches in diameter then the area is 314 square inches.  That 314
square inches multiplied by the non-horrendous 200 psi is 62,800 pounds
pushing down on that flat plate.  That can be horrendous!  I used a tank
head 1/4 inch thick for The Vindicator.  The curved shape can withstand
much more pressure than a flat plate with far less bulk.  Also my sub does
not go to 400 feet or the hatch would have been thicker material.

Gary Boucher