Re: Flat hatch design

On Mon, 11 May 1998 21:22:16 -0700 (PDT), Mike Young <tvcmikey@yahoo.com>
wrote:

> Steve,mike here,
> At 400 feet, the pressure is horrendous. If you went down with a flat
> hatch it would buckle inward before that. Even on a military vessel,
> the hatches are domed with a flat fairing to reduce drag on the outer
> hull.
> Trust me.

Oh come on... At 400 feet, the pressure is just under 200 psi. That's
hardly what I'd call horrendous. Now, that doesn't mean you don't have to
design for it, but I think "horrendous" is a bit of an over-statement.

Consider the depth that Alvin can dive to: 14000 feet -> about 6300 psi.
Now that's what I'd call horrendous :-) And that's not even close to the
16000 psi at Challenger Deep...

Later,
Jon

   Jon Hylands      Jon@huv.com      http://www.huv.com/jon