Re: HP, weight and visability

On Thu, 23 Apr 1998 23:42:41 EDT, HUNTR2 <HUNTR2@aol.com> wrote:

> I haven't heard of anyone else using or designing a double hulled sub.
> I can't think of a good reason to have a double hull.  Ballast tanks are a lot
> easier to engineer, construct, and maintain, separate from the main hull.

I can. You're assuming that everyone is building a sub that is neutrally
buoyant, with ballast tanks and what-not.

A positively buoyant sub is a very good reason to have a double-hulled sub.
The outside shell can be fiberglass, and formed to a particular shape, and
not water-tight at all. The inner shell can be made of fiberglass or metal,
and in a more "pressure-friendly" shape (like a cylinder).

See Deep Flight (http://www.deepflight.com) for an example, or the VASH, or
my design (which I probably will not end up building, but it's kind of cool
anyway -- http://www.huv.com/jon/MiniSub).

Later,
Jon

   Jon Hylands      Jon@huv.com      http://www.huv.com/jon