Trolling Motor Compensation

ARoberts32 wrote:

> Funny how two 30Lb thrust motors cost less than a 60Lb thrust one.
>
> For pressure comp of a trolling motor I was thinking...
>
> take it apart and fill as much of the internal air spaces with a solid..
> then have an external bladder of air connected to the motor insides..
> if the bladder is 10in cubed and  the motor internal space is 1in cubed then
> you can
> dive to the point where 11in cubed is compressed to 1in cubed..
> pretty deep..
> You also loose 10in cubed of bouyancy.....
>
> nothins perfect..
>
> Mike Roberts

 Hi, All

A quick solution:

Run an air conduit (use an LP hose) from the (ambient) cockpit bubble to the housing on the motor.
The housing would have a thread tapped into it to take the end of the LP hose. The ambient air in the
cockpit would compensate the motor internals.  To save on expensive LP hose, use narrow diameter
plumbing pipe. If the boat's wet, then construct a dedicated bell chamber as a take-up or air sump
through which your exhaust bubbles would percolate before exiting the cockpit. A 1atm boat would have
an external system with a pressure differential valve releasing air as needed into the motor housing.

Rick Lucertini
Vancouver, Canada