No Subject

From: "Sean Walinga" <swalinga@telusplanet.net>
To: <personal_submersibles@psubs.org>
Subject: Re: Acrylic viewing dome
Date: 	Fri, 13 Mar 1998 18:35:45 -0700

Hello all,
I have been wondering about this type of thing as well.

>With respect to O2 regulation, I'm using a standard (ball type) O2 flow
meter
>to regulate the flow into the cabin at .2-.5 lpm.  I have a standard O2
>analyzer to monitor FO2 percent and a barameter to monitor cabin pressure
>to insure it neither increases or decreases.  The flow rate needs to be
>adjusted based on an individual's rate of metabolizing O2.  Hope this
>helps.

    My question is "What happens if the O2 valve malfunctions while
submerged at 50M?" If the O2 tank starts an uncontrolled release of O2 into
the cabin while submerged...  well...  I think that's probably bad.
Does anyone know of a device or valve that will "pump" excess cabin pressure
out into the surrounding atmosphere (water).

    My second question is "Is it OK to have the hard ballast tanks (for
nuetral bouyancy) open to the environment or must they be a pressure tank?"
All the reading I've done indicates that they should be a pressure tank but
I wonder about having them open to the atmosphere. Has anyone made their
nuetral bouyancy tanks soft (or open to the atmosphere)?

    My thrid question is "What is the best way to connect an acrylic (or
polycarbonate) cylinder to an acrylic (or polycarbonate) hemisphere?" A
steel collar with a special fitting on either side seems to make sense to me
but any ideas would be welcomed. Anyone have any idea about special fittings
as well?

    Lastly, Daniel, if you manage to get viewports made in your plastics
fabrication shop, maybe the group would be able to purchase their viewports
from you?

Thanks everyone!
Sean