Re: keeping my interest

To address your second issue.....I don't think speed necessarily inplies
limited manuverability.  My sub has 3 motors, 1 in the rear and 1 each
port
and starboard.  With all 3 motors in use, the sub should really clip
along.
(I have yet to have sea trials).  Using electronic motor controls, the sub
can go from just a creep to full out.  The 2 motors on the sides allow
the
sub to turn on a dime (1 forward, and 1 reverse).

I think visibility is going to be the deciding factor with regards to top
desired speed.  You don't want to be crusing along and all of a sudden
see a boulder or rock ledge loom out of nowhere!  As far as surface speed,
I don't see that as a concern since I always plan to have a surface
support vessel.  Range is a matter of how many batteries you want to
carry.
I don't believe life support would be an issue.

As far as depth is concerned, personally I would be happy with 300' since
I consider this a reasonable depth for trimix technical diving (scuba).
(Although it would be neat to do a sub dive on the Fitz! (500+ ft)).

Al

P.S. (For Martin....I'm located near Binghamton, NY, south of Syracuse,
but keep a boat on the St. Lawrence at Clayton, NY (down river from
Kingston).

--
Alan D. Secor
e-mail: secor@btv.ibm.com