RE: Sub Window (Fwd)

>----------------Begin Forwarded Message----------------<

Date: Thu, 11 Dec 1997 18:00:17 -0800
From: "Morrisson, Richard D" <Richard.Morrisson@PSS.Boeing.com>
Subject: RE: Sub Window (Fwd)
To: "'Ray Keefer'" <Ray.Keefer@Ebay>

Ken,
I have some experience working with droop forming of plastics from
working on a human powered sub team.  You are correct that it is
available to let gravity do the job (which elimenates the surface finish
problems associated with the mold, but not the amplification of surface
scratches upon stretching).  I have had some moderate success with this
process after seeing another team member produce some nice samples.  We
needed an eliptical cross section to match our sub nose so droop forming
worked out well (and in-expensively).  I ran into the same problem with
bubbles forming.  The best advice I can offer is to experiment with
small scraps and use an accurate temperature measurement and control
system.  My best results were with 1/8" thick stock soaked at 210
degrees or so for 24 hours.  I had only limited success with the 1/4"
stock (the soak time should probably be several days as you indicated
you were doing).  I think you might have some error in your setpoint as
220 degrees would be causing bubbles normally (I understand the bubbles
to be water vapor still trapped when the plastic gets soft enough to let
them expand, boiling at 212 degrees).  Since the boiling point is so
close to the softening point, you will find patience to be worth its
weight in gold!  The less you have to heat the part, the less likely you
are to form bubbles.  Don't heat it any hotter than it takes to start
the droop (and then wait patiently!).  I have thought about making an
oven to do a larger piece and envisioned a window to watch through.  I
used wires at the front and back of my forming stand to eyeball the
point of droop desired.  However, if I do make an oven I would like to
look at electronic proximity devices and some semi-automated controls.
This will allow me to leave the process un-attended for the duration.
Also, you can change the shape of the bubble by adding a cover and
applying either vaccuum or pressure (very slight) while in the final
stages of forming.  I have not done this but am planning to experiment
with the idea when and if I build the oven.  I hope my thoughts are some
help to you.  Good luck.