Rebreathers, Motors

On Tue, 07 Oct 1997 12:07:07 -0400, "Alan D. Secor"
<secor@btv.ibm.com> wrote:

> Actually, a rebreather is a bit of an overkill for a sub.  All you really
> need is O2 flowing through a flow meter at the proper rate and then
> circulate
> the cabin air through a CO2 scrubber which is nothing but a canister of
> Sof-no-lime (Soda lime) to remove the CO2.

Cool. Okay, that's the kind of information I'm after :-) Does anybody
know how long a canister of Soda lime will last? (I know, it depends
on how big it is...) Can they be recharged at home, or do they need to
be "manufactured"?

> Actually, for submersion times
> of less than an hour, you could probably get by with nothing at all.

I'm kind of hoping for more like four hours... Of course, that will
depend on battery life as well, which brings up another question...

How big a motor (HP, amp draw) do people use or plan to use in a
personal sub? I figure a 10 HP motor (12V) will probably do the job. I
don't know what a typical 10 HP motor draws as far as current goes,
though.

My current plan is to have about 250 amp-hours of usable power (where
the batteries are down to 33%), coming from four 95 amp-hour gel
batteries.

Later,
Jon

ps - I updated my MiniSub page, with a new format, more information,
and link page... http://www.AppliedThought.com/jon/MiniSub