RE: Re: hello

Ray et al,

I've been subscribing to this mailing for about two months now (thanks to a kind chap from Minnesota).  I haven't yet contributed, but the discussion regarding the "popularity of our hobby" has piqued my interest.

I tend to disagree with the idea that we should spend our time marketing and promoting this hobby.  Rather, I think we should spend our time and energy building, experimenting, piloting, and proving the sport.

People will migrate to this as a hobby if they are interested.  It appears there are (were?) a number of manufacturers who have enjoyed little success building and selling recreational submarines -- most (all?) of whom are no longer in business.  There are a limited number of enthusiasts who have both the interest and the money to support this as industry.

On the other hand, there is enough information out there to make this an interesting hobby.  How are we to benefit from spending time and energy actively marketing this hobby?

Don't get me wrong -- I am eager to build and enjoy a personal submersible, and equally interested in talking with others about their trials, successes, failures, and experiences doing the same.

Tell me why I should be concerned about the "long term health and popularity" of this hobby?  Why should I care about "the slow acceptance of underwater vehicles" as a sport/hobby?  These concerns have little, if anything, to do with how well I'll enjoy my time with my new toy when I build it.

I am much more interested in hearing about what the subscribers of this list have experienced in their pursuits, than hearing that I'm involved in a socially-accepted sport.

Comments?

Jim Woolfrey
Portland, Oregon

application/ms-tnef