[Fwd: Re: Hull insulation]

Did you see this posting on rec.boats.building?  This seems a useful product to replace
syntactic foam for depths between 600 and 1200 feet.  Whenever I do the calculations I
have enough hull bouyancy less than 600 feet, and need to add bouyancy to get a decent
metacentric height deeper than that that.

Martin

---- Begin included message ----
We sell a line of solvent free epoxies that includes an insulating epoxy
that mixes up and goes on like shaving cream. It is very tough and durable,
in fact the olympic flame was made from this stuff. It will not easily chip
or dent and, as a coating, will prevent CUI corrosion under insulation. It
is also very light. It was originally created to insulate deck mounted tanks
on marine  chemical ships where waves, etc. were destroying the conventional
insulating coverings.

It has 1/2 the R value of fresh rock wool and does not burn (and smokes very
little).

It can be made in any color and sells for $175 per 5 gal kit.

Right now people spread it on, but I am sure some sort of gunite type spray
unit could be used.

paul oman
http://www.tenagra.com/progress/
progressive products - home of Kevlar microfiber reinforced, solvent-free
epoxies
281-997-9872
---- End included message ----

---- Begin included message ----
paul oman <p.oman@ix.netcom.com> writes:

>We sell a line of solvent free epoxies that includes an insulating epoxy
>that mixes up and goes on like shaving cream. It is very tough and durable,
<snip>
>It can be made in any color and sells for $175 per 5 gal kit.

This sounds pretty damn optimal for insulating a steel boat... but
you don't mention two important specs.  What is the lb/cu.ft of the
foam (or range of densities if it can vary)?  How many cu ft per 5 gal
kit?

Just wunderin'
Terry

---- End included message ----

---- Begin included message ----
In article <5efdmt$9ad@vixen.cso.uiuc.edu>,
	tschell@s.psych.uiuc.edu (Terry Schell) wrote:

>paul oman <p.oman@ix.netcom.com> writes:
>
>>We sell a line of solvent free epoxies that includes an insulating epoxy
>>that mixes up and goes on like shaving cream. It is very tough and
durable,
><snip>
>>It can be made in any color and sells for $175 per 5 gal kit.
>
>This sounds pretty damn optimal for insulating a steel boat... but
>you don't mention two important specs.  What is the lb/cu.ft of the
>foam (or range of densities if it can vary)?  How many cu ft per 5 gal
>kit?
>
>Just wunderin'
>Terry

 ----------
Sorry for the oversight, a few more details as follows:

Biotherm 453 is a 3 part solvent free epoxy - base, cure and approx 5 pounds
of very thin shelled, high quality microspheres. the epoxy is designed for
insulation as opposed to other properties, still it has 1/2 the R value of
rock wool, absorbes less than 1% water when submerged, will crush at about
650 pounds pressure. Don't have the density, but it is about 66% high end,
super fine-thin walled microsheres (very light). One kit creates approx 4.65
gallons (1 gal = 231 cubic inches).

Oh, by the way, it is a real chore/pain to mix (lots of microsphere dust in
the air, thick goopy product, etc.

As stated, mostly it is being used by scupturers for fountains, etc. due to
its strength, light weight, and water resistance.
Frankly, it has never been used as a hull insulation, but was designed for
ship deck mounted chem tank insulation.

Hope this helps.