Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Ambient Variable Ballast Tank

I was going to stay with an external VBT just to keep the interior as empty as possible but the way you guys have described the internal VBT with either a bladder or conforming to the tank head contour is worth looking at. By the way Jim, the system I described could only be used externally. The primary purpose is to achieve neutral buoyancy at the surface to account for load variation (occupants/equipment) and in most cases that is probably enough. It also makes more sense than fabricating and plumbing for an external ambient VBT now that I think about it because the AVBT doesn't get you any more functionality (I don't think) then a bladder at the surface. I'd have to include an overpressure valve on the AVBT so the pressure could adjust as you came back up into shallow water. However, that overpressure valve would prevent removing excess water from the tank if it was overfilled accidentally and made the sub negatively buoyant. In fact, once flooded with any amount of water you could only remove the VBT water by draining it once the sub was out of the water unless you had a way to lock the overpressure valve. Starting to sound too complicated.

While obtaining neutral buoyancy at the surface is one purpose of a high pressure VBT, the other purpose is to allow picking up objects (weight) at depth and then readjusting to be neutral again. This wouldn't be possible with an internal bladder in most cases unless that bladder had a lot of unused volume so it limits you to not adding weight (picking up 100 pounds of rocks for example) during operations. However K-boats don't have appendages to pick anything up anyway so again the bladder becomes a really simple VBT.

The other thing to be careful of with an internal bladder is placement so you don't disrupt balance. Kittredge put the K-250 VBT in center of the sub right under the pilot seat. Greg, you must have some way to control ensuring the fore and aft tanks in your sub have the same amount of water in them to maintain balance. Do they just fill equally naturally or do you have a water pump to adjust the levels fore and aft if necessary?

I thought of a high pressure fiberglass tank but as I recall from previous discussions they are expensive although those were the 3000psi versions. I'll check pricing on the fork lift tanks.