RE: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Ambient Variable Ballast Tank

Hi Jon, Ian,

I used a system like Ian describes and have been very happy with the
results. My sub has fore and aft plastic tanks in the pressure hull that are
shaped to fit areas in the hemispherical heads that would be difficult
spaces to use otherwise (they actual create places to sit). The tanks are
"soft" and hold ballast water that is pumped (or sometimes dumped) out after
a dive. My sub is a three seater and I need a lot of variable.
This is not a new idea- the same system was used in at least some of the
Perry subs. There is a picture of this is Busby's book- basically a soft
"pillow tank" under a floor board that could be emptied with a hydro-pump.
Ben Franklin also had a system very similar- bulkheads that form soft tanks
in the fore/ aft hemispheres.

I have to say that I'm not really a fan of using external "bubbles" as a
variable system for P-subs. In my opinion, you can adjust buoyancy this way
in subs that operate at great depths (hundreds of feet) because the air
bubble volume does not change greatly at those depths when ascending or
descending. However, this volume CAN vary greatly with depth changes when
operating in shallow water (less than 100 ft). It's like trying to scuba
dive with air in you BC. Frank Busby once said to me "you can get in TROUBLE
with a BUBBLE".

If you decide to use a pressurized (hard) VBT (Kittredge style) a fiberglass
forklift tank works well and already has the right number of openings. Most
of them are rated for a max working pressure of 294 psi. They never rust,
and, as an extra benefit, you can see through them.

Cheers!

Greg