Fwd: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Paint.....Cheap or Proper?

Some prior emails from last year's thread were missed.  Below are two from Vance and Alec that are very significant.
-Jim

From: vbra676539@aol.com
To: personal_submersibles@psubs.org
Sent: 3/21/2011 9:46:58 A.M. Central Daylight Time
Subj: Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Paint.....Cheap or Proper?

Jim and all,

I agree about the use of best available coatings. On the exterior of Gamma and my K-350, I use a zinc coat on bare steel, hi-build epoxy over that as a strenghtening component and tie coat, and then polyurethane over that as the final coat. The polyurethane is able to take a harder whack without fracturing and doesn't chalk in the Florida sun. The combination is getting on toward bulletproof.

If you want to do it up really well, there are Dimetcote vinyls available. Those are milspec Navy coatings. Expensive. $600+ per gallon, but it is really good stuff, as you might imagine. We used it by the truckload at Perry. But paint technology has advanced since then, so I don't know what the very best is these days.

There are less expensive and labor intensive methods for the interior, however. Gamma's ABS specs for interior coatings call for Rustoleum over zinc, and that works very well. Nine years in storage and the coating only has a very few pinhole issues to show for it. That isn't a guess. I'm looking at it right now.

The zinc undercoat is critical. After that, you want something that seals. That sounds patently obvious, but keep in mind that this stuff is slathered onto a pressure vessel that flexes under pressure, and works in a hostile environment. You skimp on it at your peril.
Vance