Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Fair Use

Correct - they are related to preservation, specifically COPYING for preservation. But they also cover other purposes. Here's an excerpt from my copyrights page:

The US copyright statutes also contain a broad set of exemptions to allow libraries to do their work of propagating knowledge at minimal cost to those seeking it. These exemptions are contained in Section 108 of the US law, and we believe that other countries have similar—though not necessarily identical—provisions.

Section 108(b) allows copying of unpublished works for preservation or security or for deposit at another library. Although our primary purpose in copying materials is not preservation, the effect in many cases is to propagate rare (and sometimes unique) works, in effect preserving them. That this actually occurs is proven by the fact that Archivale’s predecessors have sold copies of US Government documents to the US Government, because those documents could no longer be found in the Government’s own archives.

Section 108(c): allows copying of published works for replacing a damaged, deteriorated, lost, or stolen copy, but only if “an unused replacement cannot be obtained at a fair price.” The statute contains no definition of a “fair price.” Our opinion is that the prices charged for most academic books, technical journals and technical reports are not fair with respect to the purpose of copyright law because they do not favor the propagation of the works; instead, they are so high that only well-endowed libraries and research institutions can afford them. Researchers who do not have access to such institutions, and lack sufficient disposable income to purchase the needed works themselves, are excluded.

Section 108(d): allows copying of articles, or contributions to collections, or small parts of larger works, for a patron’s private study, scholarship, or research.

Section 108(e): allows copying of entire works for a patron’s private study, scholarship, or research, if “a copy . . . cannot be obtained at a fair price.” See our comment on Section 108(c).

Subsection (e) most often applies to what I do, namely provide copies of entire works that are not available through any other channel at a fair price. Usually they are unavailable at any price.

I pay no attention to video and audio provisions because I've so far never had to deal with that. The only video and audio material that I might offer in the future is either public domain or owned by or licensed to me.

Getting back to what prompted this exchange, somebody mentioned that PSUBS offers K-350 plans. Does that mean that PSUBS is licensed by the rights holder? Are those plans complete?

Marc