Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Fair Use

The article is very good for background, however not as good for drawing firm conclusions.  I'm sure someone could prepare a brief for various positions depending on which cases they cite and in which judicial district they were finally adjudicated. Precedent established in one district is not necessarily binding in another.  To a greater degree than in most other legal issues, each case is dependent on circumstances that can vary widely.

Notwithstanding the fact that the party bringing an action has the duty first to make their case, the burden is still on the one accused [of violating a copyright] to show why his use of the material is permissible under fair use.

There is another principle:  "When no wood is added, the fire goes out."