RE: [PSUBS-MAILIST] HP air

Yes- that’s what most experts believe contributed to the sinking of the Thresher. Ice formed on screen filters when they tried an emergency blow, stopping the flow of air.

But they weren’t using air as “dry” as there should be in a scuba cylinder. Seamagine subs have used a HP system for years with no problems.

From: owner-personal_submersibles@psubs.org [mailto:owner-personal_submersibles@psubs.org] On Behalf Of ojaivalleybeefarm @dslextreme.com
Sent: Thursday, April 19, 2012 10:26 AM
To: personal_submersibles@psubs.org
Subject: Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] HP air

Is there any danger of freezing when blowing ballast at that high a pressure?

Brian

On Thu, Apr 19, 2012 at 6:17 AM, Greg <greg@precisionplastics.com> wrote:

Regarding use of high pressure air to blow ballast tanks, you can use a regular fill adapter and eliminate the scuba regulator. Make sure that all components in the system are rated for sufficient pressure. Swagelok has needle valves and fittings rated for 5000 psi (and more) that are readily available.

Greg