Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Altimeters as leak indicators

Thanks, Jon,

I found the chart below that helps.  An increase in cabin air pressure of just half a pound (14.7 to 15.2 psi) would register 1,000 feet on the altimeter.  I wouldn't have guessed that.  If that happened in 10 seconds I would definitely notice with my ears; if it happened over 2 minutes I probably wouldn't.  An increase of 1.9 psi would register 3500 feet on the altimeter.

In order to avoid false alarms, I surmise the main thing to consider is how much variation in pressure might occur in normal operation of the scrubber and O2 metering system.  I think some auto-metering O2 systems respond to the drop in air pressure caused by the removal of CO2 by the scrubber and replace it with the indicated amount of O2.  I have no idea what drop in pressure it would take to trigger the O2 release, but it must be rather small.  A while back someone set the O2 feed manually based on calculated consumption and found it worked well without requiring adjustment.  Was that you, Alec?

Jim

Altitude Above Sea Level Absolute Barometer Absolute Atmospheric Pressure
feet meters inches Hg mm Hg psia kg/cm2 kPa
-5000 -1524 35.7 914 17.5 1.23 121
-4500 -1372 35.1 898 17.2 1.21 119
-4000 -1219 34.5 882 16.9 1.19 117
-3500 -1067 33.9 867 16.6 1.17 115