[PSUBS-MAILIST] Any information on this unusual civil submarine?

While reading Nash's excellent book, Hydrostatically Loaded Structures, I first learned of the existence of a Canadian-built, nuclear powered civil submarine called the Sea Shuttle Saga-N, built in 1985. It was to be used primarily for Arctic oil exploration, with a dive depth of 11,000 feet. It uses a special reactor rated for unattended operation and operating at ambient pressure and moderate temperature. Output is by a Rankine cycle - presumably using a low-boiling organic fluid though that is not stated - with less than 10% efficiency but very high safety.

In attempting to learn more, I found only three items on-line about it: Nash's book, a Popular Mechanics article from January 1985 referred to by Nash, and an item in the Anchorage Daily News. Period. Though this was not a secret project, its progenitors clearly did not seek publicity for it once operational.

Does anybody on these lists know more about this sub? I am particularly interested in its current status, because if operational it would now be on its third refueling...

Best,
Marc
--
Archivale catalog: http://www.archivale.com/catalog