To: <personal_submersibles@psubs.org>
Sent: Tuesday, January 03, 2012 8:52 AM
Subject: Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] GIZMAG: SeaBird claimed to be world's fastest personal submarine - and it doesn't even have a motor

Hi Michael,

in WWII the Germans used rebuild torpedos for human purpose.

The first prototyp one runs on 40 knots. After one test ride they found no driver for another ride..
They cut the batterie voltage to the half and it runs on 17 knots.. Still not useful.
Later the reduce the speed more and more.. The working version run on 4 knots as max.speed.
But the driver discripe this as fast and run normal slower..

The figures they give for the seabird indicates for me that the designers have no expierence with such sub.
We have here some..

http://www.euronaut.org/content/gfx/old_projects/diogenes01.jpg

Diogenes was such a towing sub. Build for one scuba and made from a old MIG drop fuel tank.
We scarp it after some trials. The smallest missalinement on the flippers and rudders and the units goes acrobatic.
And yust 2 meters up and down in a few seconds is too much for a scuba - special at shallow waters.

And yes at 4 knots you needs normaly other rudder sizes as on 22 knots..

The problem is to find a towing boat big in size to keep it on board and on the other side is slow as possible at idle speed so the driver of the sub feel still comfortable.. A motorboat with variable pich prop will be great. And you need a quick rope release button and big beak flaps on the "sub" in case you not find the wreck you search for - but the wreck find you...

By the way - In case somebody has the need - you can tow nearly any stable strait running psub with  towing hook
behind a boat. Means you have than both possiblities.

vbr Carsten

"Michael Holt" <mholt@ohiohills.com> schrieb:
http://www.gizmag.com/seabird-personal-submarine/20969/

--

Who would believe it unless ancient tradition vouched for it?

our server receiving your request.

PSUBS.ORG
PO Box 53
Weare, NH  03281