Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] GIZMAG: SeaBird claimed to be world's fastest personal submarine -- and it doesn't even have a motor

I agree with Carsten. Last March I was invited to attend a presentation given by the AquaVenture President Rich Maurer here in NH, which I did. The prototype was constructed of fiberglass although I understand at this point they have transitioned to a steel hull. In my opinion, Maurer was ill-prepared to talk about his project (worst presentation I have ever seen) and additionally he simply does not understand the market he his shooting for. He certainly is no dummy as an FAA Air Transport Pilot for a major US airline as well as some other things in his resume that I don't recall. Suffice to say I was impressed with his resume. However, anyone who promotes skimming underneath the water at 40mph as a quality underwater experience simply doesn't understand economics, quality of service, or the risks of such activity.

At most, and at its best, SeaBird is a towable Bionic Dolphin. After he gave his presentation and opened up for questions (only about 10 people in attendance at this event) I suggested to him that his venture was exactly that, a towable Bionic Dolphin, and asked if he shouldn't be marketing it more as a thrill-ride than a personal submersible? He took great offense to the analogy and let me know it, even though I did not intend it as an offensive remark. My point, which I was unable to complete because of his reaction, was that at 40mph what exactly do you expect to see underwater? In 60-70% of the worlds populated area you are going to see nothing because of visibility issues. In warm climates, good visibility waters, you're going to see a blur of rocks going by.

Now as a thrill ride I can understand the attraction and bet people would spend some money to ride fast underwater...once. That then gets into all the economic costs and risks associated with letting people who can't even drive a car behind the controls of an underwater vessel towed at 40mph behind a boat through a coral reef. Exactly how big of a tow boat, gulping how many gallons of fuel per hour, do you need to tow a submarine 150 feet underwater? Collision avoidance? Is Grandma or 10 year old Johnny going to understand how to use a sonar system to avoid boulders and other underwater obstacles while traveling 40mph?

I really wish there was something here other than potential use as a thrill ride. But in terms of it being a practical personal submersible, my feeling is it simply doesn't fit the bill. He may know airplanes but he doesn't know submarines.

Jon