Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Design

I think most of your questions can be answered by searching the email archives on our web site, or doing broader internet searches through a good search engine like GOOGLE.  Unfortunately most of what you have asked will not have a simple answer but require detailed understanding of the solution.

Elliptical Head
Tank heads are easy to find.  Do an internet search for "tank head" and find a supplier who manufactures them to ASME standards.  Also check out the tank head weight, buoyancy, and pressure chart (spreadsheet) available on PSUBS at PSUBS.ORG -> Resources & Reference -> Design Tools -> Calculators & Data Sheets.  The chart is located under the "Tank Heads" bullet.   If you don't have MS Office, download and install OpenOffice (it's free) to read the tank head chart spreadsheet.

Thru-Hull prop shaft
If I remember correctly you are looking to build a large sub.  Your best bet here is to engage Carsten Standfuss in some discussion since he has good experience here with Euronaut.  You will probably require a ceramic seal of some kind.

Waterline
Calculate the total displacement and weight of the vessel.  Divide the weight by the displacement to determine the percent of vessel that will be UNDER water.  Subtract from "1" to determine percent of vessel that will be ABOVE water.  For example, if your vessel displaces 2000 pounds and weighs 1000 pounds, when surfaced and at rest 50% of it will be under water and 50% of it will be above water.  If it weighed 1500 pounds then 75% of the vessel would be under water and 25% would be above water.  It should be fairly straight forward to estimate the waterline knowing the general components in your design, but for an accurate answer you need detailed weight and displacement figures.  Use Pi, area, and volume calculations to figure out the weight of steel used for the hull components.  Don't forget weight of batteries, compressed gas tanks, gauges, tubing, and all other components you expect to be inside the hull.

Jon