Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] drug-sub mania

Two way trips doubles the risk of getting caught (or at least offers
twice the opportunity to the coast guard to capture your vessels).
Also it cuts in half the amount of profitable trips you are making
(having your captain back in the water making a profit run in a week,
verses 2 or 3 weeks or more), meaning twice as many crews to keep
the same level of shipments.

The fact you can not easily get trained crews and or forced to rely on
crew re-use means your operation can easily be shut down be capturing
or killing a couple of crews (or if authorities or rival factions
offer rewards and hire your crews away).  Also, your operation can not
easily be scaled up.  As I recall, several books and documentaries claim
that lack of experienced crews was in part responsible for a decline in
the effectiveness of that German submarine fleet towards the end of WWII.
(In contrast the US focused on crew train, 50% vet, 50% noob crews, rather
than 100%vet/ace crews.)

The cost of production of cocaine is low, other than the perceived loss of
profit (a human factor) it is a very minor set back to loosing a surface boat.
There is major gains to be had by doubling the number of for profit runs.
Doing this via submarine is going to be much harder.

Maybe one day it will be cost effective to use submarines, but as long as
surface boats are cheaper, easier to crew, and quicker to turn around
(sink it and build a new), they will be the weapon of choice.  When the
authorities are able to stop most of the surface boats, the smugglers
will find a new way....

Cheers!
  Ian
--
P.S.:  Marc, I made a comment of one of your submarine blog posts, did it
ever show up?