[PSUBS-MAILIST] Re: [PSUBS-MEMBER-FORUM] Hatch Plans Error?

Hi Jon,

Thanks for taking a look.

>"CT cylinder should be located directly in the middle of the hatch ring seat per the left drawings on K350-005".
It is.  The vertical steel ruler in photo 1 shows the position of the conning tower shell.
Ignore the piece of bracket that extends over the ruler, that was the piece to be cut off at the correct place once the brackets were fitted.

>If you pull your dog bracket inwards (to the left as shown in your photo) to where the CT cylinder would be located, it appears the dog would line up with the bracket.

The CT cylinder is in the correct place, both in reality and my ruler simulator.  It doesnt add up.  I could of course make new brackets and extend them out, but then the hatch dogs would be poking quite a way into the hull.

The brackets i made again exactly as per the plans, 1" x 1" x 1/4".

Very confusing.
JAmes

On 17 February 2011 14:21, Jon Wallace <jonw@psubs.org> wrote:
Hi James,

Looking at the plans and your photo, it appears to me that you have the dog bracket placed too far to the right.  The CT cylinder should be located directly in the middle of the hatch ring seat per the left drawings on K350-005.  If you pull your dog bracket inwards (to the left as shown in your photo) to where the CT cylinder would be located, it appears the dog would line up with the bracket.

Jon

On 2/17/2011 8:32 AM, James Frankland wrote:
Hi All,
Quick question for k builders\owners.
Ive spent some time making the hatch brackets and hold downs exactly as per the plans.  However, when i came to offer them up this morning, they dont fit.  They are not even close.  Ive re-measured everything thinking i must have made some sort of mistake somewhere but everything is exactly as per the plans.  Tower shell, tower and hatch rings, hatch dish, brackets, dogs, everything.
Its easier to understand if you have a look at these pictures.  As the plans are drawn full size, ive placed my pieces over the dwg.
http://guernseysubmarine.wordpress.com/
The ruler on the right simulates where the conning tower shell is.  (I deliberatly left the end part of the brackets sticking out into the shell as i was going to cut these off at the appropriate place once everything was fitted.
You can see that with the brackets welded into the "correct" place, they are nowhere near where the dogs end up.
Unless ive made some error that i cant see, it looks like the plans are wrong?  Has anyone else come accross this?
I can fabricate my own brackets of course, but im just a bit annoyed i did all that work and also intrigued to know what i did wrong if anything?
The second picture is of the bracket positioned the other way around.  It would fit like this i think.  Any comments?

Many thanks
James