Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Navigation

One reason we continued to have DG's driven by a vacuum pump on the engine was in case of electrical power failure (aircraft) or as in some I've flown that didn't even have an electrical system.  That advantage is absent in an all electric sub, still there in a diesel/electric.  Is there any advantage to a vac DG if you have to have an electric motor to run the pump?

JT

In a message dated 2/12/2011 2:53:17 P.M. Central Standard Time, emile@airesearch.nl writes:

Jens,

Good point!

A real  mom’s vacuum cleaner will eat 1000 Watt of your valuable energy.

Would be great if it runs on the vacuum/pressure of the radial scrubber blower. No extra energy or space.

Emile

Van: owner-personal_submersibles@psubs.org [mailto:owner-personal_submersibles@psubs.org] Namens Jens Laland
Verzonden: zaterdag 12 februari 2011 21:43
Aan: personal_submersibles@psubs.org
Onderwerp: RE: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Navigation

Emile

I have one "air driven", i.e. vacuum operated (operates at 4 inch vacuum,
and easily managed using mom's vacuum cleaner or stofzuiger) and I hope to
run it by means of a small rotary vacuum pump and a 12 VDC motor. And such
a system should not cause any pressure build up at all.

http://traktoria.org/files/personal_submarine/instruments/directional_gyro/directional_gyro_in_UV-light.jpg

Best regards,
Jens Laland